Monday 19 October 2015

Santa Barbra Santa Monica I Contiki

Santa Barbra only had the pleasure of our company for a short time on the route to LA and for the first time on the tour I felt I was on holiday. And by that I mean; beach, sun, palm trees type of holiday; I know I have been on holiday the whole time but this was something completely different, again.

As soon as we stepped off the bus we were greeted with blue skies, sun and palm trees decorating the edge of the sea. Bliss.















After a quick snack at a local mexican cafe with the most amazing tacos for a measly few dollars each (a-mazing) we took to the streets. the scenery changed intimately from backstreets to local Spanish town which followers from the Spanish explorer that named the town back in 1602.

A strip of never ending shops will keep you occupied for hours but my personal favourite was the The Historic La Arcada Courtyard. The little street is typically Spanish and homes a small fountain at the end. Inside, randomly and yet surprisingly are turtles in the fountain. Yup, turtles. Little restaurants and boutique shops makes a relaxed summers day in the quaint town. If you fancy, there is of course the beach but we left that until Santa Monica.






SUN, BEACH, REPEAT.

An hour or so later after cruising past Malibu we came to Santa Monica where more of our friends departed.

More sun, beach and palm trees we were all getting into relaxed mode. This has to be one of my favourite parts of the trip. I was ready for some beach time and where better than the California coast. There is so much to do in Santa Monica too, I came back once to twice after the tour when I was staying in Hollywood.




The pier has tons of rides if thats your thing and of course restaurants. Santa Monica marks the end of route 66 and has the famous Bubba Gump restaurant. If you have seen Forest Gump you will know he runs through here and the restaurant from the film. I love that film, its one of my favourites so I took full advantage of soaking it up.

We spent some time on the beach which was amazingly perfect. Music, friends, sun and sea. I particularly loved the american lifeguard huts and was waiting for some red baywatch like people to run past me. Sadly, not so.

SHOP
We wondered up tot he town for something to eat but unfortunately there is only one thing that comes before eating and that is of course, shopping. I loved Santa Monica shopping, it was awesome so much so I had to stop for the pure fact I couldn't fit anything in my suitcase any more.

But there is plenty more to offer than the shops I promise. Leading up to 4th July the streets were buzzing and street artists found their stage in Santa Monica. This was awesome to watch musicians and amazing dancers pulling out all the tricks and getting kids involved too.


Little Venice is also a short bike ride away and an ideal spot if you are into skateboarding.

If you are looking for a relaxing time in California, Santa Monica is it; the epitome of what I went for  and one of the best ways to come towards the end of my trip (nearly)


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by. Please leave a comment, I love to hear your thoughts on my posts and to know you have dropped by. Much love xx

© Ramble On. All rights reserved.
MINIMALIST BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig