Sunday 27 September 2015

Yosemite National Park I Contiki

Yosemite National Park: This was the part of the trip I was most excited about. Most people were psyched for San Francisco and as much as I was, I had pintrested the hell out of Yosemite and couldn't wait to see it for real.

For this place, I think you will see pictures are going to be at the center.
sourced National Geographic




Just a little background for you; Yosemite National park was protected in 1864 and is iconic for the waterfalls, deep valleys and high mountains. It is like a lord of the rings, a heaven on earth. I am always took away when seeing such natural but outstanding surrounds and this is certainly one of them. We all have Theodore Roosevelt to thank for this. After becoming president in 1901 he set out to protect wild life and lands like this under the Forest Service. In total it is estimated he protected over 230,000,000 acres of public land, Yosemite thankfully being one of them.  It blows my mind to think this could possibly not be here. This is such a natural wonder and I am so glad it got saved for us all to witness.

The man himself quoted after camping in the Yosemite "It was like lying in a great solemn cathedral, far vaster and more beautiful than any built by the hand of man."  and I can now say I relate.

When we arrvied we were welcomed by the Wawona Tunnel View, a famous viewpoint looking out at the Yosemite valley. Isn't it incredible? I remember standing there having tumbled off the bus and wondering if it really could get any better. It didn't matter how many photos you took, how many glances you made, it just didn't seem quite real. Every moment spent here was breathtaking; the mountains, clear waters and rich colours right up to the highest, tallest trees found throughout the park. I haven't had to edit any of my photos to show how the colours were just so vibrant.




First on the agenda was a hike and prior to starting our tour guide warned us how tough it would be if we were up for the full challenge. Uknowingly we were all like, really? Rolled eyes, huffs with confidence and a smirk on our faces we all doubted his claim.  Approximately 4 miles we were all convinced it was not going to take us more than an hour or so. Well, we soon ate our words.

The hike was hard. HARD. I don't know if my fitness levels are worse than I thought but trust me, it was. Not the distance, the steepness was insane and mixed with the heat I definitely struggled and felt the BURN on my legs. What made it worse was the children bouncing past me and I mean, bouncing. I put it down to youth on their side but despite my bitterness it was refreshing to see kids enjoying the outdoors. I think I heard one child slightly moan but was a whisper compared to what I expected.

Determined to reach the top we persevered and were rewarded with stunning views of the waterfall both on route and at the top. I think I started to annoy people constantly stopping trying to recapture the views for family and friends at home.





The views, as I have said were just incredible from top to bottom and definitely kept you going. This was definitely another memorable moment I am so glad I did and can tick off my list. My attitude with these things are that as much as I hope to come back, who know if I will and whilst I am here I don't want to waste the opportunity. I can sit in a cafe anywhere but very rare I can see such sights so the pain was definitely worth it.



Once at the top successful climbers also received a victory melon to accompany their pride which was a small yet satisfying treat.

Making it back down was probably harder which I didn't think was possible. It was so steep your legs worked harder whilst trying to keep you stable walking down. The sand was slippery and you are playing jenga with the people making it up but again these slips and slides are some of the memories I remember most.

Back on the floor legs were wobbly as we made our way back to the coach but despite all our muscles aching, we walked triumph.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for dropping by. Please leave a comment, I love to hear your thoughts on my posts and to know you have dropped by. Much love xx

© Ramble On. All rights reserved.
MINIMALIST BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig